Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Card Me, Please

When I was growing up I remember how excited adults were when they got carded. Yippeee, the'd squeal, I must look YOUNG today. They'd tuck those strands of gray behind their ears and remember more vibrant days.

Me, on the other hand, was pissed off at being young. I wanted to order a beer or glass of wine just like the adults. I wanted to get carded, to prove that yes, I'm 21, thank you very much. I wanted to get carded so badly that I ran out to the nearest bar at midnight on my 21st birthday, proudly showing off my driver's license. I partyed until I could party no more that night, then went out the next night. I finally felt like an adult.

I've reached the ripe old age of 27 years old. I don't know what it is, but I don't get carded anymore. I can order a beer on the ferry, at a club, at a jazz club, at a restaurant, and I hardly ever get carded. Now I'm surprised when they ask for me to pull out my ID. What is it, I wonder. Is it the crinkles next to my eyes when I smile? Is it a look of wisdom and experience sparkling in my eyes ?(I like this one) I don't know when I hit the turning point, but it really doesn't bother me. I like being an adult and I like the person I have become. I finally feel comfortable with myself, and have no need to be that 21 year old girl again. Now I look back, and wonder why those adults were so excited about being carded?

If it were up to me, I'd never have to take my driver's license out....EVER again.

4 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I'm amazed you don't get carded because you have a youthful look and I mean that in a complimentary way.

Savor the days of being carded-- because there WILL come a time when you will NOT EVER, EVER be carded.

Take it from Grandpa.

Lisa said...

I've noticed over the past few months that you have a different way of carrying yourself. You seem more assured, more certain of who you are. Those intangible qualities contribute to a feeling of arrival, or coming "of age", I think.

Contact Travis said...

I have to agree with Lisa... I suspect in part its the wonderful alone time you are spending every day out on the water.

It may be a big ferry boat, but there is something personal and rejuvenating about being out in the middle of the Puget Sound.

andrea said...

I agree. You have a classic way about you, a sophistication . . .

Isaiah gets carded ALL THE TIME, unless he has his beard, which is rare.

Me? Once in a while. I've looked at least 6 years older since I was 13, so once in a while, being carded is a nice change of pace.