Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cold and Clear

I've decided to start taking my camera on the ferry to take pictures of the beautiful sunrise that greets me every day. I know I always like to describe it, because it changes clothes, and there is constantly something new to enjoy. Today I'm sitting backwards on the boat, and suddenly everyone's faces were bathed in red light. I looked toward Seattle, the horizon, and saw a fat sun rising like a chunk of molten lava. The clouds touch, tentatively, like a misty vale. Just beautiful.

My favorite type of day is when its clear and cold. The air bites my face, and the covers on my bed hold me like a caccoon. It was hard to get out of bed this morning and rush around getting ready in the dark. The only thing I don't like when its cold is getting on the ferry. I walk briskly down the ramp in the cool air, and when I get on board, it feels like a sauna. Hot and steamy. It makes me feel clammy and gross. I wish temperatures could all stay constant, without the fluctuations. How am I supposed to dress when its tropical on the boat, and chilly outside?

I love taking the ferry. It gives me something beautiful to marvel at every day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And it only gets better when the trees start to turn - October is such a great month in the Pacific NW. Makes me wonder what my sweetie and I will do besides bike ride and bbq which has been our summer existence. (Paula)

Lisa said...

Consider dressing for the ferry practice for your mid-40's. Temperature changes are the rule rather than the exception. ;)

andrea said...

I bet fall is beautiful there. Isaiah really does want to visit, but well, I have no idea when we'd be able to make it up there. Maybe in a few months out he can ask for a weekend off . . .