Friday, September 26, 2008

Beautiful, yet Tragic.

The entire time I was watching Phantom of the Opera last night, I was trying to decide why its one of the longest running shows on Broadway. The music is spectacular, the costumes lavish, the sets stunning. But I don't think that's what the show is all about. The story, the beautiful, human, heart-felt, wrenching story is what keeps people coming back.

I felt tears prick my eyes at the end scene, at the despair and longing of the Phantom. The woman next to me was snuffling up a storm; the rest of the audience was dead silent, enthralled. Here is this man, with so many faults, ugly on the outside, with this beautiful talent, this inner fire that nobody can see but Christine. I think part of her loved the Phantom, who showed her to stardom and guided her, but she went with the logical choice, the handsome man who can provide a future and love her in the way she needed. I think we can relate to all the characters on some level. To the Phantom, who's rejected, to Christine, who led someone on, then let him down, to Raul, who loves a woman but knows he doesn't have her entire heart.

The main Phantom star only performed the first half of the show because he got sick for some reason. I was dissapointed at first, but thought his replacement was even better. The voice was more luxurious, and he wasn't as attractive. The first guy was a bit too handsome to fit the part of an ugly, deformed man. The second Phantom was perfect, but I'm guessing he doesn't normally get the part due to his looks, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

David and I have both found ourselves humming this music nonstop since yesterday, I played it on our stereo this morning, and its on my Ipod right now. Yes, I'm still obsessed with the soundtrack. I don't know if that's a good thing because last night I kept comparing the performers to Sarah Brightman and Michael Crawford, and heard all the inconsistencies and pitch problems.

All in all, I thought it was a beautiful, hauting show that still sticks with me today. I'd see it a thousand times.

3 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I'm right there WITH you. LOVE this show!

Lisa said...

The costumes, the hair, the scene changes, the orchestra, the beautiful, beautiful music. I can't get it out of my head!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hopefully it will continue to be long running, because believe it or not, I have never seen it! Though love a lot of the music on the CD with Sarah Brightman.
(Mom)