Wednesday, August 20, 2008

No Ifs, Ands or Butts

I am tired seeing bare butts when I pull into the parking garage at Fisher Plaza.

I don't like that I feel compelled to avert my eyes. I don't like that when I do look in that direction, I get an eye-full of a bikini bottom. I don't like that the new sexspresso stand by the Space Needle has a glass ceiling, and glass walls. Even from blocks away, those bobbing booties are attracting men, even men who are trying hard not to look. I'm tired of seeing police officers sitting right behind the stand, of men with dirty smiles standing in front. I don't like women are using their bodies to attract attention and tips, like somehow that is OK.

It's one thing to wear a bikini at the beach, where its considered appropriate beach attire. It's one thing to wear a skimpy outfit behind WALLS at Hooters, which people can avoid it if they feel uncomfortable. It's ANOTHER to just let it all hang out, where it's the least expected, where you are the only half-naked bimbo for miles around.

How do women get this way? Why do they think their only asset is their ass? It partially sickens and partially saddens me. They are like this because our country consumes it, pays for it.

What are women supposed to think when they see their half-naked bodies everywhere? In magazine ads, on billboards, at Seahawks games. Women are constantly objectified, yet we are surprised when they choose to objectify themselves.

I wish we could raise women who developed their brains more than their bodies, who could make money with their clothes on, who valued dignity and self-respect.

I hope the bikini baristas someday realize that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know I am, like, totally (as we say in Southern Cal) on your page with that line of thinking. And it definitely crosses a line when this behavior is behind glass and shared with the public at large - ewww, I'm surprised they can do that. Please consider complaining to the city council. So men actually go to these places to.....drink coffee? Scarily, I think these places are coming to Portland, hopefully not downtown - saw something like it on the news, and my boyfriend was like, "Huh? sex with coffee, now?" I am extremely proud to have raised two beautiful daughters for whom their looks is icing on the cake, not the cake. And daughters who attract men with their brains and their total package. What kind of man do you catch hanging ass? Probably not a keeper! (And what kind of man wants a woman who does that??) And what kind of self respect does a woman get from a job like that? Why do we encourage men to wallow in the lowest parts of their biology? Most men with any class learn to manage it a wee bit. (Paula)

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I've thought about this based on the fact that I'm gay-- but I really don't care if it was bikini clad men-- I would hate it. It's just disgusting.

YUKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!! The almighty dollar. And all the creeps who just hang out there staring.

HURL.

Lisa said...

And, I worry about all that steamed milk and hot water. It's gotta be dangerous.

Colleen said...

I can't speak to this as fact, but I think those women are a minority when compared to the whole population of women. There are women with brains Kristin... they're YOU! And you will influence other women and your daughters and sons and so on. That's why we need to reach out to other women and young women and mentor them and foster them. It's too easy to fall into the "bikini barista" crowd. Too easy.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more Kristin. It is just sad that some women thinks it's okay to objectify themselves.