Monday, January 5, 2009

The Celestine Prophecy

I am completely in love with this book right now, which was a mega-international bestseller back in 1993. I've heard people discuss the principles of this book in depth, and I didn't want to be left out anymore. I downloaded it on my Kindle and have been pretty much glued to it; one of the reasons my blogging has gotten a little behind. It's one of the first times in recent history I've chosen to read a book more than stare at my computer on the ferry commute.

I don't think I can even do justice to the concepts of this book, but I do know that it almost puts me in a meditative trance state. Last week, when I got off the ferry and walked toward my bus, I noticed the vividness of the colors, the motion of people, the movement of time. My senses and perceptions were heightened, and I drank it all in. Quickly, I returned back to my normal state.

The book is based on ancient Eastern religions, New Age spirituality, and I think string theory. It talks about the energy that surrounds humans, plants, animals, and that this energy is created by vibrations. The book is set deep in Peru, where the main character is trying to find an ancient Manuscript that speaks of 10 insights. He's pursued by the government, so it also has action. It's about recognizing the energy field that encompasses all beings, and learning how to get energy without sucking it from someone else. It says that often, humans feel the need to control others to get their energy, because we've forgotten how to get our own.

Anyway, many of you may have already heard about the book, or seen the movie. I'm not sure if I want to see the movie, because I don't know how it can encompass all the concepts. I'm about halfway through with the book. It's like I'm realizing things I've known all along, but haven't been able to recognize. It's truly an amazing experience reading this book. Have you read it? What did you think about it?

5 comments:

Lisa said...

This is a wonderful book, and I'm due to read it again. I read it in 1995 and loved the concepts. I always remember the part about the people nurturing the plants by paying positive attention to them.

Wonderful concepts. I'm so excited you're reading it!

Kristin said...

Yeah I've believed the plant concept since I was a small child. I used to hug trees for energy. Anyway, there's also a book called "The Secret Life of Plants" that is really interesting.

Anonymous said...

I need to read that book. I feel it is a vibrational world. I for one am very sensitive to energy. I also believe that all living creatures/plants generate this energy and should be treated with respect.

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I need to read this too --- especially if Lisa loved it. She and I both also recommend a very good book called Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukav.

We're going to see him speak soon.

Thanks for the recommendation, Kristin

- A - C - said...

I did read it, and I found it very intriguing. as you said, it hints about things you somehow already knew.

Love
A.