Thursday, July 3, 2008

Where am I?

Sometimes my coworkers like to make fun of me because I live on an island, and have to commute on a boat every day.

"Kristin, what time are you taking the ferry to Japan tonight?"

"Hows life in French Polynesia?"

or my favorite...

"I'm Kristin Hanes, reporting live from the middle of the Pacific Ocean."

Right now, I am on the ferry from Bremerton to Seattle, but I could be on my way to an island off the coast of Japan. The entire starboard side of the ferry is filled with Asians. I haven't heard a word of English this entire trip. They are carrying cameras, smiling, talking rapid-fire in a tongue I have no dream of understanding. Sometimes they churn out choppy English, "Take a Pick-chuh."

One man barked something loudly in my hear and made me jump, another woman looked at me and went, "Oooooohhhhhhh". They are taking pictures of the coast of Southworth like it's an exotic island in the Carribean. I keep seeing flashes out of the corner of my eye, and think its lighting, like I saw in the storm last night.

I could be in Asia, or I could be in a meth rehab clinic. Among the chattering Asians roam men with mullets. One creepy man with hollow eyes sat in the bench seats in front of me and stared at me, his crooked teeth leering into a grin. Then he pulled a hood over his head a la grim reaper, and laid flat down on the bench. Others walk by in beat-up tank tops and jeans.

I usually take the Bainbridge ferry, which is TAME compared to this. It's all business types in suits and designer shoes drinking lattes and microbrews, rushing downstairs to shut off the car alarms on their Mercedes and Audis.

On the Bremerton boat, I could be anywhere. I'm actually finding it to be quite entertaining.

2 comments:

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

I am always very moved by your always aware and observant thoughts on daily life. Honestly, it's the things I like most about blogs. It's the little things that tie us together.

danielskiffington said...

Great post, Kristin. I have found in my travels that Asian tourists always travel in large groups. I saw that in Italy, the U.K., and now also during my trip to the Middle East. Its so cool you get to commute via ferry. Much more relaxing than sitting in traffic, listening to PT.