Monday, February 9, 2009

The Garlic Cure

I think I went through the entire cycle of a cold in one day. I woke up sneezing and achy, and knew with dread that a cold was coming on. David has been sick this entire week, and coworkers have also gotten sick, so I knew it was only a matter of time. I knew, even though my breath would be stale for hours, that I needed to break out the garlic.

I often forget about this simple home remedy. But whenever I remember, it seems to work wonders. I finely dice a raw clove of garlic, mix it with mayo, and eat it on a cracker. I'm sure to chew the garlic to release its healing oils, and it burns going down, and often makes me nauseous for a moment. When I googled garlic, this is what I found out:

Allicin and the sulfur compounds of garlic are the ingredients primarily responsible for garlic's potency as an antibiotic, anti-viral and a fungicide and for its use in treating high blood pressure, lowering cholesterol, and for helping to prevent certain types of cancer, as well as its use as an immune stimulant. Allicin is a strong antibiotic agent produced when the alliin and alliinase are merged together, as happens when a fresh garlic clove is crushed or chewed.

It also can be used to break up the mucus in sinuses, and alleve symptoms of athsma. After I ate the raw garlic, I pictured its compounds riding around my body on red blood cells, destroying every piece of virus in its wake. And what do you know, I think it worked.

I started feeling really crappy yesterday afternoon, and was sure I'd have to call in sick. I was feeling alternately hot and cold, and my nose was running a race. I just felt awful. But by evening, my nose started clearing up, and I felt more energetic. By this morning, I almost feel all the way better, although the nose is still a big congested. I should have eaten another clove of garlic this morning.

I also have to add that I also drank probably 7 cups of tea yesterday, a fruit salad filled with Vitamin C, chicken noodle soup with cayenne, and 2 glasses of cranberry juice.

The moral of this story is: never underestimate the power of natural medicine, and the power of visualization.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

from the boyfriend: Garlic also does wonders for your love life. Just kidding. Get well, whatever it takes.

Anonymous said...

From the mother: Do you remember where the garlic/mayo/cracker came from? Dr. Weil! He is a cool resource, with books such as Natural Health, Natural Healing. I totally believe based on long life experience that the best cures are the ones that encourage your body to heal itself. My favorite cure? Extra rest and sleep at the first sign of a cold. If it starts to catch me (rare), whiskey, lemon, honey, water. Vitamin C, emergencee. David - are you thinking of oysters?